Project planning is essential to the success of any project for without any plan, a project is doomed to fail. In fact, project managers know that this is the first thing that they should do in any project that they undertake.
Seven Steps to a Successful Project Management Plan
To better help the project manager in successfully accomplishing the team’s goals, he needs to create a systematic approach in his projects. Lack of proper planning can greatly contribute to failure of any given project. Here are the steps in project management planning:
- Define goals. An effective project manager understands the importance of having a roadmap that clearly defines the goals to be accomplished. It is important to keep them during the first phase of the project after which, an evaluation is done and everyone determines if the goals were achieved. During the evaluation, some modifications for improvement can be made by the team.
- Develop list of deliverables. Orient the team members of the list and ensure they are familiar with them. Note down the deadline of these deliverables. The project management plan ensures that the deadline is met.
- Outline of project milestones. Guide the team with a list of project milestones as well as the activities that need to be created and maintained. Ensure that deadlines are reasonable considering the members’ efficiency, availability and capability.
- Create a budget for the project. There should be a detailed estimate of the costs that are needed to complete the deliverables to give the sponsor an idea of the total cost of the project. It will also help guide the project manager in terms of monetary expenses.
- Choose your team members properly. Although project managers choose members who acquire the various skills needed for each job, it is ideal that these members can work together well. Once the members are identified, the project manager, through the project management plan, clearly explains to them their roles and responsibilities and the various ways that they can communicate for an effective and smooth relationship with each other.
- Set reporting guidelines. It is essential in any project planning and management that progress reports should be set up. Reports can be presented weekly, monthly or daily. A project planning and management program such as Nutcache’s is a perfect tool for this and can greatly help project teams accomplish their goals.
- Identify risks. Brainstorm with the team members on the possible risks so that you all can manage them before their onset. Discuss alternative solutions and check if there will be a need to add requirements to meet the deadlines.
Start on the Free plan!
Sign up and enjoy Free project management and time tracking for you and your team!
A successful project management plan defines the approach and the process that the project team uses to manage the project to scope. It communicates vital information to its stockholders and it helps keep the team in terms of its scope and deadlines. Project management and planning are essential to the success of any project. Without a project management plan, a project manager lacks strategy in ensuring that the project team is led towards the success of the project.
Nutcache’s project management and collaboration program is a great way to start with your project plan. Click HERE to get a free access